You are here
Natural Sciences Department
The department comprises the Geology Section, the Zoology Section, and the Botany Section. The rich collections of the department contain living organisms and non-living matter found in Bosnia and Herzegovina and other countries. Today they total two million samples and specimens, mostly collected in the field, or, sometimes, obtained through exchange, received as donations or purchased.
Some of the material is stored in the scientific collections of the relevant sections, while some is displayed in permanent exhibitions in the Natural Sciences Pavilion.
The following exhibitions are at display:
- Botanic Garden
- Pleistocene and Subfossil Vertebrates of Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Fauna of Mountain Streams and Rivers
- Forests of Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Cave Fauna
- Rocks and Ores
- Plant and Animal Life in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- The World of Aquatic and Wetland Habitats
- Macrofungi (Macromycetes)
- Medicinal Herbs and Endemic Plants of the Dinaric Alps
- Birds of Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Ungulates of the World
The Natural Sciences Department was assigned its own pavilion in 1913, after the four pavilions were erected. The Botanic Garden and its live collections, located in the central part of the museum grounds between the pavillions, was founded that same year.